Monday, November 21, 2011

A Stir-Fried Thanksgiving


For years I have thawed, prepared, and cooked a turkey, only to have it sit in the fridge along with the leftover stuffing and mashed potatoes until I throw it all out just before Christmas.  For this reason, I’ve decided against cooking a traditional Thanksgiving meal.

We will have a stir-fried Thanksgiving! My in-laws are in town, which means that we will have three qualified chefs in the kitchen (my mother-in-law, father-in-law, and husband). While they are arguing over which sauce or chopping technique to use, I will silently slip down to the basement, coffee mug in hand, to watch the Thanksgiving Day parades with my kids.

Will our Thanksgiving be the same without the aroma of roasting turkey wafting through the air?  No.  But when we sit down to eat, we will all enjoy the food, and I will be able to rest assured that all leftovers will eventually be consumed.

I will not, however, leave the traditional Thanksgiving feast entirely by the wayside. The women in the family will make a homemade apple pie, and I’ll whip up some other pumpkin type dessert (haven’t decided yet).  

Finally and most importantly, we will give thanks that we are able to share this meal and be together as a family at this moment in time. 

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

p.s. For some real stir-fried Thanksgiving recipes by Grace Young, check out this article from the New York Times:

No comments:

Post a Comment